Climate Change & Nuclear Energy
Veröffentlicht am 26.10.2015 in der Kategorie English Section von Axel Mayer
Climate Change, Nuclear Energy & Fukushima
Fukushima: A failed attempt to save the climate.
The nuclear power industry and its governmental allies are spending tens of millions of dollars annually to promote atomic power as an “emissions-free” energy source. Their goal is to encourage the construction of new nuclear reactors in the U.S. in France, England and worldwide and prevent the shutdown of dangerous old reactors (Fessenheim, Beznau, Mühleberg....) that cannot compete economically with clean energy sources like wind and solar power..
Yet nuclear power is not only ineffective at addressing climate change, when the entire fuel chain is examined, nuclear power is a net producer of greenhouse gases. Adding enough nuclear power to make a meaningful reduction in greenhouse gas emissions would cost trillions of dollars, create tens of thousands of tons of lethal high-level radioactive waste, contribute to further proliferation of nuclear weapons materials, result in a Chernobyl or Fukushima-scale accident once every decade or so, and, perhaps most significantly, squander the resources necessary to implement meaningful climate change policies.
Source of this section and where to go for up-to-date information on nuclear power and climate.
English Section - Mitwelt:
- Freiburg: Ecological Capital - Environmental Capital - Solar City?
- Growth and growth criticism / Unlimited growth destroys limited systems
- Cheap atomic energy? A lie and conspiracy theory
- North Korea: nuclear weapons – nuclear bombs – fusion bomb
- Nuclear Power / Nuclear Energy / Nuclear Risk: How does a pressurized water reactor work?
- Small thorium reactors & terrorism / danger - thorium-based atomic power
Nuclear Pride Coalition & »Stand up for nuclear Propaganda: Greenwash & Propaganda Information about different Lobby Organizations like: